Saturday 1 September 2012

Crochet

Today my 8yo is learning to crochet.  We have invested 99p in the first issue of the new 'The Art of Crochet'" magazine and she is sitting next to me with her ball of yarn and crochet hook at the ready.  Although I have no intention of shelling out for the rest of the series, I am prepared to buy the first couple of issues to get the basics sorted.



I think I was about 12 or 13 the last time I crocheted anything.  My Nana taught me the basics and I can remember being able to make circular patches but never squares!  Perhaps we will both be learning something.

I can now report that we have successfully learned to make a chain.  We have endured one tantrum and a few tears but 8yo has forgiven me as I have promised it will not happen again!  I will add a photo of our first square when it is complete............

2 comments:

  1. I also got the first issue too! Some of the patterns in the second issue look nice but I doubt I'll bother with any issues after that. I found that youtube videos were an excellent way to learn as you could physically see where the stitches had to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of these magazines but when you work out how much it would cost to buy every issue, you realise how overpriced they are. Plus, as you say, it is sometimes better to watch the videos.

    Perhaps I will look around for a book instead. I always feel that magazines are frivolous but a book on the same subject is a necessity! :)

    ReplyDelete